Nonpayment of Rent

The landlord must serve the tenant a written notice allowing three days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, for the payment of the rent or vacating of the premises. If the tenant does not pay the rent or vacate, the landlord may begin legal action to evict.

Taking Legal Action

For the landlord to gain payment of rent or possession of the dwelling, he or she must file suit in county court. The clerk of the county court will then send the tenant notification by summons. The tenant must meet the requirements outlined in the summons within the time frame cited.

Failure to meet these requirements may result in a judgment being entered against you.

The clerk of the county court will then issue a “writ of possession” to the sheriff, who will notify you that eviction will take place in 24 hours.